Flood Zones By Address: What Zones Require Flood Insurance In 2023?

What Is A Flood and What Are Flood Hazards?

With Floods being the most common natural disaster in the United States, it’s important to understand what zones require flood insurance and your chances of flooding. Make sure you have a plan in place for you, your family, and your home. You can search flood zones by address using FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center.

Flooding isn’t just a threat to people living near water. It happens all across the country — in all regions, climates, and various ways. Floods can occur due to snow melting quickly, heavy rainfall, ocean waves coming onto shore, or overflows from dams or other water systems. Flash floods are especially hazardous as they can happen within minutes and are very destructive.

Using Flood Maps To  Search Flood Zones By Address

Using a flood map, make sure you know if your home is at high-risk or low-risk of flooding. Living in a high-risk area means you have a 25% chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage. However, your home doesn’t have to be in a high-risk zone for you to experience flooding. Almost 25% of all flood claims come from low to moderate-risk areas. 

The odds of you experiencing a flood may seem slim. But it happens more than you’d think. 90% of all presidential-declared disasters involve flooding. Even minor flooding can mean significant financial challenges. Just a couple of inches of floodwater penetrating your home is enough to destroy floors, damage walls, and ruin appliances, which could cost you thousands.

Nature isn’t the only cause of flooding either. New construction and paving can alter the land’s ability to drain properly. As a result, run-off can increase two to six times over what would occur on natural terrain. Areas that were initially zoned as low-risk can quickly become high-risk as development changes topography.

Have A Plan – Know What Zones Require Flood Insurance

Having a plan for you and your family will provide peace of mind and ensure you’re prepared. When making a plan, it’ll be important to consider dietary needs, medical needs, shelter, and even plan for your fur babies. With your family safe, it’s time to consider your home and what zones require Flood insurance.

Homeowners’ policies may cover fire, tornado, or even earthquake damage, but they rarely cover damage from flooding. There are two types of flood policies: Preferred and Standard. The flood hazard zone you live in determines the type of policy you should buy. If your property is located in a low-risk zone, you may qualify for a Preferred Risk Policy, making you eligible for coverage at a lower rate. If you find you live in a high-risk zone, you should speak to an agent as soon as possible, as Flood insurance has a mandatory 30-day waiting period on new flood policies.

New Requirement In Florida 

Florida recently passed Senate Bill 2A. This bill only affects Floridians with a homeowners policy, including wind coverage with Citizens Property Insurance. The bill requires Citizens’ residential policyholders to obtain flood insurance as a condition of having coverage from Citizens. The requirement will be phased in based on the flood zones and in specific years. The flood industry has also made it easier to understand rates and ensure rates accurately reflect a property’s flood risk for more individualized coverage and cost. To learn more about the new Risk Rating 2.0, check out our blog on how to protect yourself from unexpected flood damage

Ready To Get Coverage?

Our agents are always here for any questions you may have and are happy to walk you through the process. Reach out to an agent or request a quote. Are you looking for more answers? We’ve got you. Our blogs are full of tips for homeowners, and one of our most recent blogs covers 6 most asked questions about homeowners insurance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button